An internship is a period of work experience offered by an organization for a limited period of time. The term is now used for many placements in businesses, non-profit organizations, and government agencies.
What is an internship?
- A great way to gain valuable experience and build your resume.
- A structured work experience related to a student's major and/or career goal.
- An experience that should enhance a student's academic, career, and personal development.
- An experience can be one academic term (summer, spring, fall) or multiple academic terms in length.
- An experience that is mutually agreed upon by the student, supervisor, and/or faculty member.
- Depending on the field, the experience might also be called a practicum or co-op.
What I benefit from an internship?
- Gain exposure to real-world problems and issues that perhaps are not found in textbooks.
- Evaluate specific companies or specific careers before committing to full-time employment—a "try before you buy" type of experience.
- Ease the transition from being a student to entering the workforce.
- Increase self-confidence in the workplace while developing an expanded network of associates and professionals.
- Facilitate a higher starting salary than non-interns. In a recent study, interns received, on average, $2,240 more than non-interns for starting salary.
- Have résumé-building experiences while applying academic concepts and principles.
- Have personal growth experiences and exposure to different job opportunities.
- Have hands-on opportunities to work with equipment and technology that may not be available on campus.
Why should I take an internship?
The Continents University of Arts and Sciences founded as a competency-based degree-granting university, hypothetically (learn & earn). Students must demonstrate specialized internship or experience to earn credits and graduate. Students already working in the same field of their education should provide the University with documentation as proof of employment.
How can I participate in The Continents University of Arts and Sciences internship program? (For Students)
- You can participate in The Continents University of Arts and Sciences internship program by following simple steps.
- Find your employment host.
- Fill out and submit an internship application.
- If approved, you will need to follow up with your employer to sign an internship contract (Fee-Free).
- First 45 days, you will need to complete a mid-term survey.
- Second 45 days, you should submit a final-term survey.
- After you discuss your requirements and duties with our student, you will need to sign an internship agreement with The Continents University of Arts and Sciences.
- You must participate in an evaluation survey every 45 days. (Mid-term and Final-term).