OVERVIEW & SCOPE
The Continents States University has established a nondiscrimination policy. This policy applies to all aspects of the relationship between The Continents States University and its students, volunteers and employees, including, but not limited to, employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, hiring and firing, compensation, assignment, classification of employees, termination, upgrading, promotions, transfer, training, working conditions, wages and salary administration, and employee benefits and application of policies. These policies apply to independent contractors, temporary employees, all personnel working on the premises, and other persons or firms doing business for or with The Continents States University. Disciplinary action will be taken against any employee or agent in breach of this policy.
- DISCRIMINATION. The Continents States University shall not tolerate, under any circumstances, without exception, any form of discrimination based on race, creed, religion, color, age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, parental status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, national origin, political affiliation, sex, predisposing genetic characteristics, and any other status protected by the law. This list is not exhaustive. Job promotions will be offered to employees based on merit, experience, and other job-related criteria. For qualified people with disabilities, The Continents States University will make every effort to provide reasonable workplace accommodations that comply with applicable laws. All employees, volunteers, managers, stakeholders, and agents at The Continents States University will comply with these anti-discrimination policies. In some cases, local laws and regulations may provide greater protections than those described in this policy.
- HARASSMENT. The Continents States University is committed to providing a work environment that is free from harassment. Any unwanted and offensive behavior to the recipient, which creates an intimidating, hostile, or humiliating work environment for that person, violates The Continents States University’s policy. Harassment can occur between members of the opposite sex or the same sex. Harassment, verbal or non-verbal, explicit or implicit, based on an individual’s sex, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, or other legally protected characteristics will not be tolerated. All employees, including supervisors, other management personnel, and independent contractors, must abide by this policy. No person will be adversely affected in employment with The Continents States University due to bringing complaints of harassment.
- SEXUAL HARASSMENT. Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute harassment when (1) submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of employment; (2) submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as a basis for employment decisions, promotion, transfer, selection for training, performance evaluations, benefits, or other terms and conditions of employment; or (3) such conduct has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment or substantially interferes with an employee’s work performance. The Continents States University prohibits inappropriate conduct that is sexual in nature at work, on University business, or at University-sponsored events, including the following: comments, jokes, degrading language, sexually suggestive objects, books, or any form of media electronic or in print form. Sexual harassment is prohibited between members of the opposite sex or members of the same sex.
- STATEMENT ON AFFIRMATIVE ACTION. An affirmative action program has been developed where The Continents States University seeks to increase the representation and participation of minorities.
- REPORTING DISCRIMINATION & HARASSMENT. Suppose an employee or volunteer feels that he or she has been harassed as described in this policy. In that case, they should immediately report the matter to President’s Office through any verbal or written means. Suppose that contact is not available or the employee is not comfortable informing this contact. In that case, the employee should notify any other manager or supervisor immediately. Once the matter has been reported, it will be promptly investigated. Any corrective action will be taken when deemed appropriate. All complaints or unlawful harassment under this policy or otherwise will be handled in as confidential a manner as possible. Timely reporting is encouraged to prevent the re-occurrence of, or otherwise address, the behavior that violates this policy or law. Delays in reporting a complaint can limit the effectiveness of a response by The Continents States University. The procedure for reporting incidents of discriminatory or harassing behavior is not intended to prevent the right of any employee to seek a remedy under available state or federal law by immediately reporting the matter to the appropriate state or federal agency.
- RETALIATION. Retaliation against any person associated with The Continents States University who reports instances of harassment – whether he or she is directly or indirectly involved – is in violation of The Continents States University’s policies. All reported incidents are assumed to be made in good faith. Any allegations that are proven false will be treated as a serious matter.
- DISCIPLINARY MEASURES FOR HARASSMENT. Any employee or volunteer engaging in behavior that violates this policy will be subject to disciplinary action, including the possible termination of employment, whether an actual law has been violated.
- TRAINING. All employees, volunteers, supervisors, and management personnel will be required to read, understand and execute anti-discrimination, anti-harassment, and/or anti-sexual harassment policies of a kind as designated by The Continents States University.
- REMEDIES. The Continents States University does not offer any type of remedies for any instances.
- POLICY IMPLEMENTATION. Implementation of this policy is effective immediately.