Purpose: The dress code policy at The Continents States University applies to all university employees, volunteers, students, and any member official member of the university community. It is established to maintain a professional and positive image for our community members as representatives of the university. The policy aims to promote a professional atmosphere while allowing for appropriate flexibility during designated times. This policy outlines the expectations for acceptable attire and provides guidelines for community members to ensure they are comfortable yet presentable in the university environment.
Professional Attire: Business attire is the standard dress practice at The Continents States University for all community members. This includes formal business wear during regular business hours and when attending government-involved personnel meetings, as mandated by State of Missouri Rule 98. Proper attire for all individuals consists of professional clothing appropriate for a formal office environment.
Casual Dress: During less busy business times such as summer sessions or semester breaks, a more relaxed dress code will be implemented, allowing for business casual attire. Business casual wear is defined as clothing appropriate for a professional office environment while still maintaining a neat and professional appearance.
Appropriate Attire: Community members should consider their daily activities and responsibilities when determining what to wear. The following guidelines provide an overview of acceptable casual wear:
- Tops: Collared shirts, blouses, sweaters, and turtlenecks are acceptable. T-shirts, tank tops, and clothing with offensive slogans or graphics are not permitted.
- Bottoms: Slacks, dress pants, skirts, dresses, and khakis are acceptable. Shorts, mini-skirts, leggings as pants, and ripped or torn jeans are not permitted.
- Footwear: Dress shoes, loafers, flats, and conservative sandals are acceptable. Athletic shoes, flip-flops, and slippers are not permitted.
- Accessories: Minimal and professional accessories are encouraged. Excessive jewelry, hats, and sunglasses are not appropriate.
- Grooming: Community members should maintain a clean, well-groomed appearance. Extreme hairstyles, visible body piercings (other than ears), and excessive tattoos should be covered or minimized.
Dress Code Parameters: While the guidelines provided above are not exhaustive, they serve as a general framework for acceptable attire. If a community member is unsure about the appropriateness of any clothing item, it is best to choose an alternative or consult with the university administration or designated authority before wearing it to any university-related activities.
Consequences for Failure to Comply Non-compliance with the dress code policy may result in the following consequences:
- Verbal warning: Community members will be notified verbally about the dress code violation and reminded of the policy requirements.
- Written warning: If the violation persists, a written warning will be issued, documenting the violation and consequences for future non-compliance.
- Disciplinary action: Continued non-compliance may lead to progressive disciplinary action, including suspension or termination, depending on the severity and frequency of the violations.
The Continents States University expects all community members to adhere to the dress code policy to maintain a professional and respectful university environment. It is the responsibility of supervisors, managers, and university authorities to enforce this policy consistently and address any concerns or questions raised by community members regarding the dress code.
Missouri Law Compliance In addition to the dress code policy outlined above, Continents States University acknowledges and adheres to State of Missouri Rule 98 when attending government-involved personnel meetings. This rule specifies the proper attire for gentlemen and women during such occasions. The university staff members and representatives are expected to comply with this rule when representing the university.
Proper Attire for Gentlemen:
- Business attire, including a coat.
- Dress trousers.
- Dress shoes or boots.
Proper Attire for Women:
- Business attire, including a jacket worn with dresses, skirts, or slacks.
- Dress shoes or boots.
Definition of “Jacket”:
- The term “jacket” includes blazers, cardigans, and knit blazers.
Please note that this compliance with Missouri law is incorporated into the dress code policy to ensure the university’s adherence to legal requirements. This dress code policy is based on the provided reference and tailored to fit the specific requirements and culture of The Continents States University for all members of the university community.